When we (myself, husband and parents) reached Cape Town to spend a month with my brother, we were quite impressed with the Ariel view of the city as our plane landed. The beautiful mountains, the tall nice-looking buildings fit well within the marvelous landscape of the country along the beautiful white sand beaches lining the glass-blue ocean! These things were just very pleasing to the eye. After my brother picked us up from the airport, we were driven straight to Strand where he stayed! I had heard of the Strand Beach mostly as a holiday resort and little did I know that his apartment on the 11th floor faced the most beautiful part of the ocean and gave mesmerizing views of the tiny town!
Well yes, Strand is a petite town. It is closer to Somerset West and falls under the Cape Town municipality. However, it is still miles away from the busy city of Cape Town. Strand made me wonder how brilliant it would be to live marginally away from the city – observe that stunning beach almost every moment, learn from the surfers, and of course see the sunset every other day! I could just live in strand forever and probably go to the beach every day and blog at peace.
What to expect at Strand?
As a picnicker or a day tripper, you will be happy to know that the beach is massive. You will for sure find a decent place to spread out and enjoy your time. There are toilets, ample car parks and convenience stores on the beach road. The beach vicinity will ensure all necessities during your tour. There is also a small swimming pool that you might want to use as a family if bored from the salty waters of the Atlantic.
If you plan to vacation longer around Strand, there are a lot of holiday apartments. These could be rented for a week or more and most of them have stunning ocean views. For all you know, you may end up to be in the balcony of your apartment the whole day!
Tip – Somerset mall is a very short drive away and you may pick up your groceries and conveniences from here.
Everyone has that remarkable photo opportunity at Strand. If you are renting an apartment by the sea, remember to seize those early morning and late evening views. You will, for sure, remember the time spent at Strand for very long!
What can you do at Strand?
Well depending on what your objective for the trip is you can do several things at strand –
- If I was renting an apartment by the beach, I would walk my mornings and evenings as long as I could!
- On days when I have ample time at hand, I would take a shot at surfing or paragliding. I loved to see excellent surfers like nowhere else, at Strand! If you are a great surfer yourself, this is where you should be. If you are not, then probably you could learn a trick or two of the sport at the surfing school – Yes, they have one here!
- There are dive centers which will help you have an amazing diving experience.
- If I were a day tripper, I would love to get my picnic basket with some gourmet South African reds and employ my entire day gazing into the sea.
- I would suggest families with kids to try out the amusement park. The park is also sheltered from the wind.
- If ever I felt energetic, I would play some cricket with those interested. Many even choose to play beach volleyball and other sports in the arid area!
- I might book a game of golf at the Strand Golf course on days I am bored at the sea. That would however be a rare possibility for me but you could consider this idea.
- I would walk on the main road and see around the many nifty shops!
- Most assertively, I would not forget to capture the spectacular turquoise blue ocean with some essence of the mountains around the edges and keep those shots to treasure!
To conclude ..
Strand, in Afrikaans, means beach and this one is a massive one outfitting thousands of soaring tourists every day! If you are a beach lover, water sports enthusiast, sunny photographer, or even just a ‘do-nothing-at-all’ person, you will love your time spent at the Strand beach.